Sunday, December 30, 2012

Antique Taco

I ventured to Wicker Park to a taco joint that I had heard a lot about. Antique Taco is it's name, and amazing mexican cooking is it's game.
The cool thing about the Antique Taco is that is is run by husband & wife team Ricky and Ashley Ortiz. Rick is the head chef and takes care of creating an authentic Mexican menu, reflecting his Mexican Heritage, while Ashley is the creative director of the restaurant. The result is the seamless incorporation of a "home-y"atmosphere and great Mexican Comfort food.

The Chili Cheese Curds caught my attention, and they lived up to my curious expectations. These Beer-Battered Cheese Curds are lightly fried - almost like a tempura. They top a bowl of Chorizo Chili and then are drizzled with a Crema Fresca, Scallions, and tortilla chip strips. These little balls of gooey cheese with spicy Chorizo Chili really were fantastic, I highly recommended for any cheese lover.
Chili Cheese Curds
I love a good fish taco, and usually hesitant when ordering them at a restaurant  I have never had them at before.  The Crispy Fish Tempura tacos came with an interesting Siracha Tartar Sauce - which actually worked quite well - Smoked Cabbage and were topped with chives and sesame seeds. The fish itself was battered very lightly and had a perfect amount of crunch. The taco was good, but was quite plain. I would of loved  some sliced avocado or pickled onions to give the taco just a little more.
Crispy Fish Tempura
Overall, the restaurant was great, definitely a spot I'd recommend and somewhere I'll be visiting again.   The cozy atmosphere of the restaurant, along with the  the good service, and great Mexican comfort food gets this taco joint 4/5 ★★★★☆ stars!
Antique Taco Menu


No comments:

Post a Comment