Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Ragin' Cajun


Evangeline Café was a shot in the dark. My friends and I had tried looking up a new restaurant and were feeling in the mood for something cajun.. and what we got was Evangeline's. The atmosphere was awesome,  everything cajun from jerseys to guitars were cluttered upon the wall, and the live band singing about the bayou fit in perfectly. We got an an assortment of appetizers, the "Gator Bites", Green Wings, and the Boudin. I had never had alligator before and was eager to taste it. Just like they say "it tastes like chicken"... it did, but much more flavorful. The bites were deep fried and covered with the perfect amount of spicy cajun aioli. The Green Wings were buffalo wins with a cajun twist. They were just the right spicy and went perfectly with the side of bleu cheese. The Boudin tasted just like I had had it while in New Orleans last summer, and if I didn't know better, I'd think I was still there.

 I love a great Crawfish Etoufee, but the Stuffed Pork Chop caught my eye. The waitress said that its one of their newest additions to the menu, so I had to try it!. I sure am glad I went out on a limb - it was delicious and something out of the ordinary for me. The pork chop was butterflied and folded back with a pecan pesto seeping over the sides. A generous serving of gravy and fried onion string topped the chop, and really complemented the pecan pesto. The entrée came with a side of white rice and a 'side of okra stewed with tomatoes, onions, and bacon'. This stew was amazing, and usually something I wouldn't like. Caught up in the atmosphere I felt like I had to indulge in one of the many Abita beers ('Louisiana's Finest') hat Evangeline's offers. I got the Abita Restoration Ale, and really enjoyed it. Their seasonal Abita brew was a strawberry beer that my friend was compelled to get. I am a lover of strawberries, so of course i had to try some of his. It was exceptionally good, with only a fait strawberry taste towards the aftertaste. I will for sure be going back to Evangeline when I get that cajun craving. Im giving Evangeline Café 4½/5 stars! ★★★★✬

Evangeline Café's Menu

No comments:

Post a Comment