Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jack Allen's Kitchen


I did not realize until I got there, but Jack Allen's Kitchen was created and started by Chef Jack Gilmore, who was the head chef of Z-tejas. I could see some resemblance of character in the dishes after I learned this. Jack Allen's Kitchen is a take on modern American cuisine, and prides itself on their use of local and organic ingredients (the waiter told us the restaurant gets most all their ingredients from local farmer's markets). A sampler of homemade pimento cheese was given to us to snack on while browsing the amazing menu. For starters I chose the Baja Style Fish Tacos and Bacon Wrapped Texas Quail - and it was hard to narrow it down to two. From the Beef Rib Quesadillas to their Blue Crab Gratin, the selection of appatizers at Jack's was pretty stacked! I am a HUGE fan of fish tacos, but very selective and somewhat picky when it comes down to it. Two came with the order, and you are definitely getting your money's worth. Topped with avocado, pico de gallo, and JAK's slaw the tacos wrapped in a corn tortilla were delicious, and quite filling as well. The Quail was the appetizer I was most excited about. Six drumsticks came beautifully loaded with jalapeno and peach jam and bound with bacon and a small green fig salad on the side. The sweetness of the peach jam and the spice of the jalapeno jam clashed, but everything was brought together with the saltiness of the bacon and tenderness of the quail. 
Although it is an appetizer, I ordered the Spinach Gorgonzola Ravioli as my entree. They have a great selection of salads, burgers, tacos, and "chicken-fried anything"(including a chicken-fried beef rib!?), but the ravioli caught my eye. The ravioli came with walnut pesto cream sauce topped with grated Parmesan, dashes of a chipotle puree for a kick, and came with a side of ciabatta bread. The sauce covered all the ravioli, and I had to do a little fishing in order to claim my mouth-treasure -- but i wouldn't have it any other way, the sauce was amazing. The pesto was not 'too nutty' and really went well with gorgonzola. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Jack Allen's; they had a very fun patio and bar outside that would be perfect for their happy hour. Overall, Jack Allen's Kitchen was a fresh, and great spot. 4/5 stars!★★★★☆



No comments:

Post a Comment